Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Was a Painter, But Now I'm a Farmer

Over the past several years, I have become increasingly interested in the Slow Food Movement. Besides my love of toiling away in the dirt, it's one of the reasons why I was inspired to build (if ever so painfully slow) my dream garden I started chronicling here. There are a lot of articles that detail the SFM philosophy, but the bottom line is this- good, quality food with a commitment to the community and environment.

That Farmer's Market you frequent for fresh veggies every weekend? It's more than just a Saturday social outing where you can pick up some pretty vegetables on the cheap. You are helping to sustain small local farms and businesses as well. Many times, you are also helping to make someone's dream a reality.

I love it when the little guy helps the big guy too. Whole Foods Market famously sends Buyers out into their local communities to forage for quality products crafted or farmed by local artisans. Their "Love Local Stories", introducing us to a handful of these folks makes for some of the best reality TV out there.

Here are a few California-local stories that hooked me this week.

Black Mesa Ranch
"Happy Goats Make Happy Cheese"


Soaptopia
"I'm a big believer in creating a very big, yummy, life affirming, large product, but in small batches."


Golden Road Brewing
"Whole Foods has built our brand and built our company and built our brewery."


Check out other Southern Pacific area bios via Love Local Stories featured here or type in your own Whole Foods zip code to be introduced to other local artisans bringing farm fresh products to your own table.

SHARE:

No comments

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig