Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Knot-So Nautical Rope Accents


I've been exploring a slew of different materials used about the house these days- one of which can be sourced easily and inexpensively from your local hardware store. I've found that rope, in all it's various colors and incarnations, has added structure and texture, strength and visual interest to both decorative objects and bigger stakes projects in recent months. It's become a favorite of mine and I've taken plenty of inspiration from the ways others have used this very versatile material in design that only hints at seaside nautical or ranch-hand western. 


I love how an everyday object can be transformed into something totally unexpected and in turn, completely transform a space. These woven dividers and backdrops give a modern nod to yesteryear macrame.



If I'm intrigued by it's use in anything, it's definitely in the chunky and masculine weight it gives to overhead lighting. I've long planned to model some permanent fixtures or even temporary party lighting using wood and rope as a foundation. I'm going to bet this happens before the year is up.




We've used it to tie down truckloads and tackle heavyweight projects, so it seems a natural transition for rope to be used in a supporting role for more decorative tasks that require some extra muscle.



But most of all, it's the surprising element of rope used indoors that inspires me. We're used to seeing softer materials used for interiors. I've found though that the scratchy sisal of rope is a good counterbalance to all the smooth and fluff, particularly when used merely as a decorative object in and of itself. 




screening | .01 .02 .03
lighting | .01 .02 .03
support | .01 .02 .03 
works of art | .01 .02 .03
SHARE:

6 comments

Unknown said...

These are awesome! Great bits of inspiration:)

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

What a great post!! I love all these ideas! so original! I really love the last one....it could be such a fun and easy DIY. These are all wonderful images.

Anonymous said...

WoW. I love this post. I love the screens made of rope and also Loooove the rope ladders going to the bunk beds. That would have been my dream as a kid!!!! xox

LiveLaughDecorate said...

awesome post! Just found you via Mimosa Lane

Unknown said...

wow, I love love these images! Rope as sculpture- yes! Love the lighting. Have a great weekend.
xo Nancy

Eman Sherkawy 3 said...

شركة نقل اثاث بالخرج
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
نقل عفش بمكة
نقل عفش بالخرج
شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بمكة

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig