Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fresh Ideas // For the Kitchen


Mirrors are more than just decorative pieces. They can create an optical illusion and make a small space feel much bigger than it is. Rarely are they used in a kitchen, but why not? This decorating workhorse can add both style and spaciousness to one of the most heavily trafficked rooms in the house.

*original source unknown // found via 


All too often we reach for a bowl of apples or citrus to display on the counter or table. But the way I see it, we're missing a big opportunity to pack a bigger, graphical punch by leveraging some of our favorite melons on the tabletop. Why not display the verdant, stripy skins of a watermelon or canary-hued ridges of a Casaba instead (I have both on my dining table right now!)? I like the laid back, seasonal vibe these seasonal fruits impart. Kind of a reminder to take it easy and enjoy the spoils of summer.



I collect a lot of inspiration while dining out at some of my favorite restaurants. One of the first things I notice are the many genius ways my favorite eateries display their take-out menus or specials of the day. Why not take a queue and create a menu board in your house kitchen? I think this would work particularly good for a family or for meal planning in general and take all the guesswork out of what are we having for dinner tonight? Better still, use it to create a little anticipation for a favorite meal to come.

*photo by M Franke of UK eatery Bistro Union as seen on We Heart
SHARE:

7 comments

Unknown said...

I love how a few of these rooms bring the outdoors inside!

Alexa said...

Ooh love the original unique style of these interiors.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Ok, that watermelon idea is genius. I love mirrors everywhere.

jackie jade said...

loooove the use of the paper roll. there are so many chalkboards everywhere now so this gets similar work done but in a different way.
-- jackie @ jade and oak

Thehouseofhampton said...

I love all of these ideas! It's amazing how a photo can be so inspiring. I'm digging the paper roll.....
Sharon
@novaraway

Kristen said...

Great ideas. I'm loving the paper roll in the kitchen!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

What fab ideas!! I love the mirror! I think mirrors can add so much light and depth in a kitchen as well as glam! Love the watermelons too. I always love having a huge bowl of colorful fruit!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig