Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Lighting Trend // The Swing Arm Sconce


I've been quick to notice this resurgence of swing arm wall lighting popping up nearly everywhere in design these days. I think it's popularity has as much to do with utility as it does style. Space-saving wall sconces with flexible arms that pivot or extend out over a table, sofa, bed or countertop offer a surprising focal point to a room. They don't compete with art on the walls and can play a supporting role to larger, more ornate overhead fixtures if needed. But I love them for their clean lines and simplicity most of all and the masculine edge they can infuse into an otherwise feminine space.






Swing arm sconces are so versatile, they work well in nearly every type of space - kitchen, bedroom and you know their use in that sunroom above is unexpectedly awesome. But for me, I think I favor them used in the bathroom. The application above hung right over the vanity mirror is pretty much perfect by my standards.  



Traditional to vintage to industrial... One of the best parts about this lighting style are the many options to choose from and I've noticed they seem to work best as a contradiction to other elements in a space.
Below, a few of my favorites to style up nearly any room. 


 Inspiration images found here: 
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 


SHARE:

1 comment

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

Yes! I love them....they are so much more dramatic now...I'm really in love with one from Design within reach (I forget the designer...have it on the tip of my tongue) and Bijou and Boheme found a really nice less expensive version of it which she placed in her nursery. I would love it in my dining room....I have been thinking weather I should ask for it for my birthday! beautiful post as always!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig